Seigniorage Document Collection
- Seigniorage and Political Instability by Alex Cukierman (Tel Aviv University), Sebastian Edwards (University of California and NBER) and Guido Tabellini (Università di Brescia, NBER and CEPR), American Economic Review, June 1992.
- Seigniorage and the Case for a National Money by Stanley Fischer (Massachusetts Institute of Technology and NBER), Journal of Political Economy, April 1982.
- The Optimal Collection of Seigniorage by N. Gregory Mankiw (Harvard University and NBER), Journal of Monetary Economics, 1987.
- Money Demand and Seignorage-Maximizing Inflation by William Easterly (World Bank), Paolo Mauro (Harvard University) and Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (World Bank), World Bank Policy Research Working Paper, 1995.
- Seigniorage and the Welfare Cost of Inflation: Evidence from an International Model of Money and Consumption by Zvi Eckstein and Leonardo Leiderman (Tel-Aviv University), Discussion Paper Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, March 1991.
- Eurowinners and Eurolosers: The Distribution of Seigniorage Wealth in EMU by Hans-Werner Sinn (University of Munich) and Holger Feist, European Journal of Political Economy, June 1997.
- A Strategic Market Game with Seigniorage Costs of Fiat Money by Martin Shubik (Yale University) and Dimitrios P. Tsomocos (Bank of England), Cowles Foundation Discussion Paper, March 1993, Revised 2001.
- Liquidity Premium and International Seigniorage Payments by Benjamin Eden (Vanderbilt University), Working Paper, January 2009.
- International Seigniorage Payments by Benjamin Eden (Vanderbilt University and University of Haifa), January 2007.
- Seigniorage and the Desirability of National Monies by Benjamin Eden (Vanderbilt University and University of Haifa), November 2005.
- Seigniorage by Willem H. Buiter (London School of Economics and Political Science), Economics Discussion Papers, March 2007.
- How to Cut the Seigniorage Cake into Fair Shares in an Enlarged EMU by Jørgen Drud Hansen (Vilnius University) and Roswitha M. King (University of Latvia), December 2004 (upgraded version in Journal of Common Market Studies, Vol. 45., 2007).
- A Theory of International Currency and Seigniorage Competition by Yiting Li (National Taiwan University) and Akihiko Matsui (University of Tokyo), CARF Working Paper, September 2005.
- Hyperinflations and Moral Hazard in the Appropriation of Seigniorage: An Empirical Implementation with a Calibration Approach by Carlos E. Zarazaga (Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas), Working Paper, November 1995.
- Seigniorage in a Neoclassical Economy: Some Computational Results by Joseph H. Haslag (Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas) and Joydeep Bhattacharya (State University of New York), Working Paper, December 1998.
- Central Bank Responsibility, Seigniorage, and Welfare by Joseph H. Haslag (Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas) and Joydeep Bhattacharya (Iowa State University), Working Paper, November 1999.
- Seigniorage Sharing Under Dollarisation by Željko Bogetić (International Monetary Fund), Central Banking, 2000.
- Seigniorage or Sovereignty? by L. Randall Wray (University of Missouri), unknown date.
- An Incentive-Compatible Suggestion for Seigniorage Sharing with Dollarizing Countries by Owen F. Humpage (Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland), Policy Discussion Paper, June 2002.
- Seigniorage and the Welfare Cost of Inflation in Colombia by Martha López (Banco de la República de Colombia), May 2000.
- A Political Economy Model of Monetary Policy: Decentralized Decision Making and Competition for Seigniorage by Ronald Hillbrecht (Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul), Brazilian Journal of Political Economy, 1999.
- Seigniorage and Distortionary Taxation in a Model with Heterogeneous Agents and Idiosyncratic Uncertainty by Sofia Bauducco (Universitat Pompeu Fabra), Job Market Paper, November 2008.
- Colonial Currency Boards: The Seigniorage Issue by Malcolm Treadgold (University of New England), History of Economics Review, 2005.
- The Enlargement of the European Union and the Redistribution of Seigniorage Wealth by Holger Feist (Princeton University), CESifo Working Paper, January 2001.
- Seigniorage as a Tax: A Quantitative Evaluation by Ayşe İmrohoroğlu (University of Southern California) and Edward C. Prescott (University of Minnesota and Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis), "Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking" August 1991.
- Funding Basic Income by Seigniorage by Joseph Huber (Martin Luther University of Halle-Wittenberg), October 2000.
- Seigniorage Reform and Plain Money by Joseph Huber (Martin Luther University of Halle-Wittenberg), June 2001.
- Dollarization, Seignorage, and the Demand for Money by Thomas J. Sargent (University of Minnesota and Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis), Working Paper, April 1981.
- Money Demand and the Potential of Seigniorage in China by Geneviève Boyreau Debray (Centre d'Etudes et de Recherches sur le Développement International), 1998.
- A Comparactive Study of Seigniorage: Japan and Germany by Manfred J. M. Neumann (Bank of Japan), BOJ Monetary and Economic Studies, July 1996.
- Central Bank Independence, Government Political Orientation and Optimum Government Expenditure Financing by Hakan Berument (Bilkent University) and A. Özlem Önder (Ege University), November 2000.
- The Generation and Distribution of Central Bank Seigniorage in the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland by Eduard Hochreiter (Oesterreichische Nationalbank) and Riccardo Rovelli (University of Bologna), July 2001.
- Spending Seigniorage: Do Central Banks Have a Governance Problem? by Alain Ize (International Monetary Fund), Working Paper, March 2006.
- Seigniorage and Inflation: The Case of Argentina by Miguel A. Kiguel (Banco Central de la República Argentina) and Pablo Andres Neumeyer (University of Southern California), "Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking", August 1995.
- The Political Economy of Seigniorage by Ari Aisen (International Monetary Fund) and Francisco José Veiga (Universidade do Minho and NIPE), Journal of Development Economics, 2008.
- Seigniorage and Civil War by Victor A.B. Davies (University of Oxford), March 2007.
- Government Bond Seigniorage, Money Seigniorage and Their Responses to Monetary Policy Shocks by Yifan Hu (University of Hong Kong), March 2004.
Banknotes and coins from around the world:
United States coins:
Euro banknotes and coins:
Demonetisation during the Tipper and See-Saw Time (or Kipper and Wipper period) in Central Europe, 17th century:
Constantius Gallus, Caesar. 351-354 AD. AV Solidus (4.44 gm). Thessalonica mint: